Hey guys, I’ll be bringing you the different food variety from my native country of Nigeria. Now Nigeria is also referred to as the giant of Africa, as it is the most populous nation in Africa with a population of about 203,452,505 people. Nigeria is a country blessed with a wide cultural diversity which makes it a great place to live in, with about 250 ethnic groups the diversity is beautiful providing an avenue for a variety of foods ,traditions and culture. Nigeria has a rich cuisine and I’ll be detailing each of them in this blog post.
The Igbo people are usually found in the eastern part of the country and are mainly known for their love for legumes, cereals, vegetables, iyan pounded yams and cocoyam. Yams are most popular and can either be boiled or pounded with vegetable soups. Soups are an integral part of igbo cuisine. Some of the most popular Igbo foods are –
1. Pounded yam with bitterleaf soup is a favourite for most Easterners, when prepared properly the burst of flavours is sure to melt your heart. The ingredients for this amazing meal are bitter leaf, meat or fish, stockfish, maggi, crayfish, salt, seasoning cube, pepper, palm oil, and ogiri
- 2) Pounded yam with egusi soup is rich both in taste and quality, it’s prepared with meat or fish stockfish, egusi seeds, spinach, palm oil, crayfish, pepper, salt, seasoning cubes, and ogiri.
- 3) Nkwobi – is a cow foot delicacy with palm oil delicacy, it’s common in Nigeria and goes perfectly with a chilled wine or drink of your choice. The ingredients included here can be seen on https://allnigerianfoods.com/nigerian-nkwobi .Ingredients are; 1 kg Meat (chicken, wild meat, goat, cow foot, assorted meat), 2 cubes of knorr, 10 leaves of utazi, Edible potash (one teaspoon), Palm oil 200ml, Ugba – 1 cup, 10 Peppers (Scotch bonnet), Onions – 2 slice, 3 seeds of ehu (calabash nutmeg), Salt to taste.
- 4) Abacha- is also known as African salad, is prepared from cassava and is eaten across the south eastern part of Nigeria. It is prepared from cassava,palm oil, chopped onions, ugba, crayfish, utazi, and pepper and dried fish (optional). It’s very healthy.
Have an intriguing array of deliciously prepared foods, they are known for their colorful food mixed with several elements that will cause you to drool. Some of the native yoruba foods include;
1) Gbegiri soup – is made from beans either brown beans and it’s quite easy to make. It’s made from beans ,dried fish, pepper , crayfish, seasoning cubes, salt and palm oil.
2) Efo – riro- is a healthy Yoruba cuisine prepared from spinach vegetables, crayfish, stockfish, pepper, locust bean, meat, and palm oil.
3) Amala and Ewedu soup – is a Yoruba staple food , the soup is made from ewedu leaves, iru, crayfish, pepper and salt.
4) moin – moin- is made from beans as well. It’s a nutritious and easy to make meal. It’s made from grounded beans, pepper,salt ,egg(optional) and fish
Are found at the northern region of the country. And are rich when it comes to food especially grains like millet. Some of the native foods are;
1) Tuwo Shinkafa – is a popular food made in the northern part of Nigeria from parboiled rice used to make a thick pudding and is served with different soups. It’s prepared from rice and water
2) Masa- is also known as Hausa rice cake, made from tuwo rice that is fermented rice. Made from rice, yeast, sugar and flour. It can be taken with soup.
5) Dambu Namna- is a shredded or fried meat delicacy similar to suya. It can be eaten as a snack or used for rice. It’s made from beef, pepper, salt,sugar, groundnut oil and onions and seasoning cubes
One of the most important dishes synonymous to Nigeria is our jollof rice, which is widely acclaimed as the best that could ever be. It is common to all ethnic groups and is quite common in all parts of Nigeria.
Whenever you find yourself in Nigeria make sure you’ve a taste of at least one if not all of this dishes❤. You won’t regret it. Feel free to tell me what your favourite food was in the comment section